Random Dice Roller, April’s 2nd app – or May’s first app, depending on how you look at it – is now out the door. As always, it’s time for another postmortem.
Review Time (time spent in the iOS app submission queue):
- 9 days
New technologies I learned and used:
- The main new technology here was networking. This was my first iOS app that touched the network in any way, shape, or form. Aside from the incredibly annoying extra-long default timeouts, it went quite smoothly, and resulted in my open-source class ReallyRandom.
- I ran into some performance issues when using setMasksToBounds: to round the corners of UIButtons. This will likely be the subject of a blog post in the near future.
- Taking good pictures of dice is hard!
Future plans: I have quite a few plans for Random Dice Roller. So many, in fact, that it was a difficult decision to actually release it, instead of spending more time adding new features. But in the spirit of release early, release often, I decided to let it go sooner rather than later.
There are two things that will likely be coming at some point in the future. The first one is the ability to roll multiple sets of dice at once; that is, instead of just being able to roll something like 3d6, you could roll 3d6 + 2d8 + 1d4 all at once. This would be quite handy for those games of D&D.
The second one is in-app purchases of different dice sets. I’m not sure what exactly the market would be for that, but I figure it’s worth a shot.
As always, please let me know if you have any feature requests or ideas!